Compostable packaging use-case consultation
The Packaging Forum is working with other key stakeholders (including composters) on resolving the issues surrounding compostable packaging. This consultation is a critical part of our collaborative work programme to progress solutions for this packaging type.
Published 3 June 2021
Consultation closes 30 June 2021
Compostable packaging has significant value in the packaging system in specific applications where it can bring nutrients to composters for composting, thus diverting organic waste from landfill. Globally, diverting wasted food from landfill is a priority. In New Zealand (NZ), our Climate Change Commission recently declared organic recycling a top priority for reducing carbon emissions in the waste industry, alongside capturing more methane from landfills.
“Compostable packaging” incorporates a wide range of material types used in a variety of applications. However, some applications are not globally considered as best practice for the generally accepted “use case” for compostable packaging.
In this consultation document we aim to discuss:
- The system for compostable packaging in NZ
- Some existing international use cases for compostable packaging
- The NZ position previously published by WasteMinz Organic Materials Sector Group in 2016
- The range of existing compostable packaging materials and applications in the NZ marketplace, and,
- A proposed use-case for all stakeholders to work from as a step towards a working system for compostable packaging in NZ
Consultation closing date: 30 June
How to make a submission
Simple submissions with answers less than 50 words per question may be submitted through our online survey.
For more detailed submissions, please email your submission, preferably in a word document.
Emailed submissions will need to include the following information:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Company or organisation you represent (if applicable)
- Part of the supply chain you represent:
- Manufacturer from raw materials
- Manufacturer from imported materials
- Packaging distributor
- Brand owner importing packaging for own goods
- Brand owner using packaging from distributor/manufacturer
- Brand owner of a compostable product
- Waste management company/organisation
- Local body
- Industry organisation
- Compost facility
Following the closing of the consultation, we will be analysing the results and publishing a summary document which will include recommendations.